Please note: please make sure that you have filled in your study plan before registering for the language tests.

The tests you have to take must appear in your study programme (in Esse3). If there is a case of tests taken irregularly, they will be considered invalid. For the compilation of the study plan, you can consult what is published on the Infostudenti portal.

Language skills required

Five-Year Degree Course In Law

If you are registered in a five-year degree course in law, it is compulsory to pass a B1 level language test:

  • for Italian citizens the choice of language is between English, French, Spanish or German;
  • for non-Italian citizens the required language is Italian.

You also have the possibility to get further credits by taking a language exam at CLA in German, Spanish and French at any level. There is also the possibility for English to take language exams at a B2 level and above. The credits that can be recognised are as follows:

  • livello B2: 7 credits (includes lower levels);
  • livello C1: 9 credits (includes lower levels);
  • livello C2: 11 credits (includes lower levels);

Bachelor's degree In Comparative, European and International Legal Studies (CEILS)

You need to have 2 language certificates:

  • First language: language exam for C1 level for English
  • Second language: language exam for B1 level in a language of choice between German, French or Spanish

For students who are not Italian citizens the compulsory first language is Italian.

Application For Degree Title

Those who are already enrolled for the final degree session but still need to take a language test (only one) as their last exam, apart from applying for the degree title, will have to send an email to the student support office ( as follows:

  1. indicate code and title of the exam to be taken;
  2. request official permission to be admitted to the degree session.

This procedure is only possible if the exam session is scheduled within 15 days of the application.

Recognition of Language Certificates

If you have a language certificate, which is internationally recognized and also recognised by the University of Trento, you can send the certificate to the Academic and Student Services of your department (Ufficio Offerta Formativa e Gestione Studenti) for the recognition of credits and exemption from the requirement to take an entry test / first or second language exam. The certificate must be in the list of the language certificates recognised for giving credits and will be recognised as having a validity of 5 years from the issue date, if no expiry date is given. In addition, you have to comply with the following
when presenting your certificate:

Language Courses 

CLA organizes language courses to which UniTN Students can enrol for free or for a very reasonable price. Consider the possibility of enrolling to improve your language level or to learn a new language.

CLA also offers Juridical language courses. For information see: course periods, levels and timetablesenrolment dates and costs.