Online Placement Test
What is a placement test and why do I need it?
If you are thinking of enrolling in a language course at CLA and you have already started studying, firstly you need to take a Placement Test online (the test is not necessary if you are a complete beginner, because you will start with an A1a/A1 level course).
There is an online placement test for the following languages: English, German, French, Spanish, Italian and Russian.
For this test, you need to answer multiple choice questions without the help of a grammar book or other people. The aim is, in fact, to determine your level of language proficiency so as to provide the course which best matches your learning needs. The French language test includes a listening test; therefore, you will need earphones.
Even if you take a test, during the first lessons of the course the teacher will verify your actual language level and give you advice. It might be possible, therefore, to be moved, if considered necessary, to a higher or lower level depending on your language competence.
Timing and scoring
The timing is different according to the language chosen and is indicated by a timer on the screen. In any case, it is never more than 50 minutes.
- For each wrong answer the score is -1
- For each answer not given the score is 0
Student with special educational needs
If you are a student with special educational needs (SEN) or learning difficulties, you can take the test with extra time. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying which language you are interested in (English, French, German, Spanish, Italian or Russian) 5 working days before the test you intend to take.
How do I access the test?
- If you are a student at Trento University, you must use your university username and password;
- If you are not a student at Trento University, you must first enroll to access our services at the Language Centre (Centro Linguistico di Ateneo), filling in the form online. Within 3 working days you will receive an email from the CLA secretary office explaining the procedure to access MyCLA.
When should I take the test?
The test can be taken at any time, until the actual day of course subscription; however, we advise taking it well in advance. The test is valid for 6 months and can only be repeated 2 months after the first test.
Once you start the test:
- You cannot go back
- It is forbidden to open other windows on your screen: this automatically cancels the session, invalidating it and making it impossible to start another test before two months have passed from your first date of access
Take the test
|Online placement test|